Sunday, August 5, 2012

on words

I'm not a very articulate person.
Mostly my mouth is way behind in expressing what I've been thinking. For example after a conversation I think of the perfect things to say, but while I'm in it I can't say it for the life of me. It's annoying but I doubt that it will ever change.
I've been thinking a lot about words lately. Probably because the work environment I am in now can be brutal when it gets stressful. People snap and I guess it is their way of venting and letting off steam. Things get blown out of proportion and there's a lot of talking behind people's backs involved. You would think that everyone should be too old to do that, but sadly it isn't. Sometimes I even wonder if people just make up things because they need to bitch and moan about something. Weird thing about it, it always snowballs!
In the process of all this, I've had a couple people come up to me and express how hurt they get by the tone of those yelling at them and I all too well know that feeling. It leaves you feeling miserable, recking your brain as to what you did wrong.
I detest yelling, I don't ever raise my voice (maybe when I fight with my brother). Can't even shout in dangerous situations when you yell to help someone - I'm too quiet and people can't hear me haha I don't feel the need to shout and to be honest I really don't see the point in it. The worst is when people say beforehand, "Don't take it personal". What does that even mean? Of course you will take it personal, it was directed at you.
The book of Proverbs has a lot to say about words and the tongue and the way it works and doesn't work:
"The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit."
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
and than the killer verse to bring it all together:
"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."
Isn't that crazy, yet we still talk to people as if they don't matter.
Maybe it is my firm believe that every person is precious and worthy of honour, that I watch my words. Rather not say anything before I say something stupid. Not that I'm better than anyone else - I fail all the time - but I know that I better watch my mouth. Things once said are hard to take back and I'm pretty sure I've hurt a lot of people by saying stupid, unconsidered things or the way I said them.
Let's all be better at this and speak life over people instead of destruction. The world will be a better place for it.
Happy Sunday everyone x

No comments:

Post a Comment